Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Amish Home Remedies
So when I went to the country back in December I traveled a lot to different places and saw lots of the costumes and I walked into a cheese factory that had books on amish recipes and home remedies. I was amazed by their alternative way of living and how much healthier lifestyles they all lead. I personally am a 100% believer in holistic and alternative medicine. I am not so much of a prescription drug supporter unless extremely necessary. I have come to believe that eventually prescription drugs fix one problem but cause a greater one down the road. So here I will share with you all a few amazing remedies from the amish. I hope you all enjoy and find it very helpful.
Alternative Medicine/Home Remedies
- Blood CleanerAnything you use as a blood will thin your blood and if high blood pressure is a patient's problem, it should not be used, as it will raise the blood pressure more. Sassafras tea/red clover blossom tea/strawberry leaf tea/dandelion root or leaf tea- Brew any of these teas as you would Chinese tea and drink one cup a day for three weeks.
- Liver Ailments Eat rhubarb sauce and it will get rid of mucus and acid of the liver
- Rosemary Herb is used for many ills, for example failing memory or as heart tonic. Is also used to flavor beef roast, chicken, tomato soup.
- Sage Use teas as remedy for flu, sore throats, and nervous headaches. Makes men wise and improves their memory faculties (hence, sage plant). Also use for flavoring for chicken stuffing and sausages.
- Female Problems/Painful Periods: Use tea made of red raspberry leaves - 1 tsp. dry crumbled leaves to 1 cup boiling water. Sweeten with honey and drink hot. Use no more than 2 cups in 24 hours.
- Pneumonia: Drink bone set tea, hot, twice a day. Drink lots of fluids: 3 c. hot water with 1/2 c. lemon juice sweetened with honey (drink hot, all in one day).
- Whooping Cough Medicine: 1 lemon sliced thin, 1 qt. water, 1/2 pt. flax seeds. Simmer 3-4 hours. Do not boil. Strain while hot. Add 2 oz. honey then water to make 1 pt. Dosage: 1 T. 4 times a day. In addition a dose after each sever fit of coughing.
- Cough Syrup: Put 3 whole eggs in the shell in a pint jar and fill with vinegar. Put a jar flat on top but do not screw lid on. Let stand 4-5 days till the shell gets soft and slightly black. Lift eggs out and fill the jar up with honey. Mix and use. Dosage: 1 t. 4 times a day.
- Bee Stings: Cover infected parts with dampened salt. Or, Soak with Listerine. Or, Make thick paste of baking soda and water and let dry. Or, put wet clay or mud on sting. Or, Vicks applied to sting will give relief.
- Fainting: A drink of vinegar is a sure cure for fainting.
- Earache: Dip cotton in molasses, put in ear and the pain will cease.
- Sore Throat: 1). Take vinegar and make it strong with salt and red pepper (black may be used) and gargle often. 2). Gargle with blood root tea, made with a 2" piece of root. Cut fine and brew in one cup hot water. Let simmer a minute. Gargle as hot as one can stand.
- Arthritis: 10 t. apple cider vinegar to a glass of water at each meal. Use honey instead of sugar.
- High Blood Pressure: Eat apples, grapes, cranberries or their juice. Eat a small amount of honey at each meal. Drink any of the following teas: Chamomile, Blue Vervain, Comfrey and Catnip.
- Fast Relief for Boils: Apply Vaseline to the boil, then slice a juicy lemon and put 1 slice on the affected spot. Remove this every day and put a fresh slice on until it's gone. This usually takes 3 days.
- For Fever: Take the white of an egg and beat with a spoon until foamy. Add a little sugar and a little hot water. Drink it and you will be surprised how soon the fever will be gone. (Note: Eggs must be free of salmonella when used raw these days!)
- Nose Drops: Mix together 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. baking soda, 1 cup boiled water. Put a few drops into the nose whenever necessary or, pour some into the palm of your hand sniff up into the nostrils to flush out the head. Emit through the mouth. Very healing.
- Poor Man's Gargle: Mix well 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. vinegar, and 1/2 cup warm water. Use as a gargle several times a day. Just as effective as high priced sweet tasting ones.
- Foot Powder: Mix 1 oz. baking soda and 1 oz. corn starch. Put in bottle with a shaker top. Dust onto feet every morning before putting on shoes.
- Dandruff: Use one tablespoon of nettle tea to a quart of water. Just pour boiling water over nettle. Cool and massage this tea into scalp often.
- Obesity: Chick weed will help you reduce. Steep a heaping teaspoon to a cup of boiling water. Drink one cup of the tea an hour before meals and at bedtime. Searack, burdock and nettle can be used the same way with good results.
- Nerve Medicine without Drugs: 1). Blue Vervain Herb: Brew 2 tsp. crushed leaves and flower head in 2 cups boiling water. Drink one cup warm before retiring and one cup next day. Sweeten with honey. 2). Catnip and chamomile tea will serve equally well. Use blossom only. With catnip, use any of the plant.
- Asthma Congestion: Add 1 oz. of the inner bark or pith of the wild cherry tree to one quart of water and boil down to one pint. Add 1 cup of honey and 1/3 c. of horehound candy (melted). Mix well and take 1 Tbsp as needed.
- Burns: An aloe vera plant is a very good first aid for burns and scalds. Break off leaf - the slippery ooze will seal off air from burn and will stop the pain in a few minutes. Severe of deep burns need the care of a physician. Leave burn uncovered whenever possible. This hastens healing. A paste made of unsalted lard and flour will also aid in taking the pain from burns.
- Diarrhea: 1). Drink juice of canned blackberry and/or blueberries. 2). The leaves of the shrub of blueberries are made into a tea. Drink a cup several times a day. 2 tsp. dried leaves plus 1 pint boiling water.
Around the Home:
- Weed Killer - Mix together 1 gal. white vinegar, 3 c. salt, 1 reg. size bottle detergent. Spray on weeds to kill on the spot. Works fast.
- Pantry Plant Food: 1 t. baking powder, 1 t. Epsom salt, 1 t. saltpeter, 1/2 t. household ammonia. Stir together and mix with 1 gallon of lukewarm water. Water with this in place of regular watering every 4-6 weeks. This works very well to perk up houseplants, especially vines and ivy.
- Varnish Remover: Mix 1 cup ammonia, 1 cup Borax, 1 cup salsoda, 2 cups water. Put on with paint brush. Let soak for 20 minutes or so and wash off with soapy water. Then rinse with clear water.